After sitting out for one year of production for the first time in program history, the Proof Silver American Eagle returned for collectors to purchase in 2010. Intense demand for silver bullion and a shortage of available blanks forced the United States Mint to cancel the striking of Proof Silver Eagles in 2009. The 2010-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin is now available on Silver.com in perfect condition.
- There are 27,972 coins in this condition and designation from 2010!
- First Proof Silver American Eagle struck after the 2009 hiatus!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States government.
- Bears a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Designated an Ultra-cameo product.
- Features the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- Walking Liberty design on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle insignia on the reverse.
In the absence of the Proof Silver American Eagle in 2009, the United States Mint was pushed to the limit as investors snapped up bullion coins at a rate that was 10 million higher than 2008’s record year, finishing with 30,459,000 coins sold in total.
The United States Mint saw continued high demand for the bullion version of the coin again in 2010, setting another record with 34.764 million coins sold. By November 2010, the US Mint was ready to reintroduce the Proof Silver American Eagle. Demand was so high after one year that 700,000 2010-W Proof Silver American Eagle coins sold in the first two weeks of availability.
Initially the US Mint had a household order limit of 100, with no maximum mintage specified for the year. With coins selling for $45.95 each, the US Mint eventually eliminated the household restrictions and the 2010 Proof Silver American Eagle finished at 849,861 in total.
The 2010 Proof Silver American Eagle coins in this listing have PF70 grades from the NGC, which indicates a coin in perfect condition. You’ll find the full, original mint luster on each coin and no detracting flaws. UCAM coins have contrasting frosted and mirrored fields that give the illusion of the design set floating above the background field.
If you have questions about any of our Silver American Eagles, there are three ways to reach our team members. We’re available on the phone at 888-989-7226, online in our live web chat, and via email.