After four years of unprecedented demand for the Silver American Eagle coin, the United States Mint had a moment to catch its breath in 2012. The record mintage for the Silver American Eagle was originally set in 1987, and not broken until 2006. However, two years later the US Mint would experience record-setting demand for its popular silver coin that resulted in broken sales records in each year from 2008 to 2011. Right now, the 2012-W Proof Silver American Eagle is available for purchase on Silver.com.
- Only 6,825 coins earned this certification from the PCGS!
- 26th release of the Silver American Eagle proof coin!
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a PR70 grade from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Available with a DCAM designation.
- Features the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- Walking Liberty from Adolph A. Weinman on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle of the US by John Mercanti on the reverse.
The record demand of the previous four years had pressed the San Francisco Mint back into production of bullion Silver Eagles alongside the West Point Mint. However, as the US Mint adjusted to demand and mintage fell by nearly 7 million in 2012, there was no need for an allocation program as had been done in previous years.
When it comes to 2012 Proof Silver American Eagles, this was a special year for the US Mint. There were a total of three proof coins struck. The US Mint produced 877,731 standard 2012-W Proof Silver American Eagle coins.
Additionally, the Mint produced 281,792 Proof Silver Eagles at the San Francisco Mint. There was also a 2012 reverse proof Silver American Eagle struck at the San Francisco Mint. These two coins were available exclusively in the San Francisco American Silver Eagle Two-Coin Proof Set, released in June 2012 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the San Francisco Mint.
Each 2012-W Proof Silver American Eagle available here is a perfect specimen with a PR70 grade from the PCGS. Coins in this condition exhibit full, original luster and no detracting flaws. DCAM proofs have strong, frosted design sets and contrasting deeply-mirrored, clear background fields.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223. We’re also available online using our live web chat and email features.